1/2 Japanese Cucumber
1/3 to 1/2 cup Japanese mayonnaise
Fresh ground black pepper
Tobiko (とびこ) Flying fish roe
1. Cut the potatoes into quarters.
2. Cut carrots into quarter (or half) and then slice it thinly.
3. Put potatoes & carrots in a large pot and add water until it covers all the potatoes.
4. Put to boil at high heat. When the water boils, lower to medium heat and cook until a skewer can goes through the potato smoothly.
5. Drained the water and put pot with potatoes and carrots back on the stove again to evaporate the excess water/moisture over medium-high heat (it will take less than 1 minute). Shift the pot in circular motion so the potatoes wont’ get burnt.
6. Mash the potatoes & carrots, but leave some small chunky bits for texture. Sprinkle salt, mixed well and let it cool at room temperature.
7. Slice the cucumber thinly, sprinkle some salt and set aside for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, press to remove moisture from the cucumber.
8. Boiled 2 eggs. Remove the shell and fork the egg in a small bowl.
9. Add cucumber and mayonnaise into the potatoes & carrots bowl. Mix everything until incorporated
10. Add the boiled eggs and grind some pepper over and mix well. Don’t over work it. Let it cool in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
11. Remember to top with some Flying Fish Roe when you serve.
Notes: Feel free to add more potatoes if you like more of them, or cucumber. You are your own chef