I made this for Ifeel Magazine.
February 2015 issue::A Lovely Valentine’s Day.
Rolled Beef is a great side dish to go with any bento you are making.
I highly recommend it.
10 thinny sliced beef/sukiyaki beef
10 asparagus (boiled in water for 3 mins, half cook)
10 strips of carrots (boiled in water for 3 mins, half cook)
10 strips of spring onions
1 pack of enoki mushrooms
salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon sake
1 tablespoon mirin (sweet sake)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon chili sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
- Place the slices of beef vertically towards you.
- Sprinkle some salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle some starch and place 1 strip of each asparagus, carrot, spring onion and enoki mushroom at the end of the beef closest to you.
- Start rolling.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan, low heat.
- Place the rolls seam side down and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip the rolls so that all sides are cooked equally.
- Add in the sauce ingredients and cook until the sauce is thick and glossy. (Alternatively, you can apply the sauce while you cook on each side).