I made these cute Mini Rose Apple Pie for Ifeel Magazine.
February 2015 issue::Theme for Valentine’s Day.
Didn’t manage to post the recipe earlier, and I think this is the perfect time to post it in my blog since Mother’s Day is just around the corner.
Hope you will try to make this for mommy dearest
Pretty little thing isn’t it. Melts~
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
125g butter, very cold and cut into cubes
3 tablespoon ice cold water
The Filling- Ingredients:
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoon strawberry jam
The Dough- Instructions:
1. In big bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt.
2. Add in cubes of butter. Work the butter into the flour using a potato masher/pastry cutter (Avoid using your hand!).
3. Add in ice water and stir to combine the mixture to become into a ball. Add dditional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if dough seems dry.
4. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour.
5. Roll out the dough to 0.5 cm. Use a cup or a bowl about 3 1/2-4 inch in diameter and cut out the dough.
6. Fit each round into a buttered cupcake tin, pushing the dough up the sides. Chill dough while the filling is prepped.
Tips: love the potato masher!
Awesome tools because you don’t want to use your hands because the heat will melt the butter.
The Filling- Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- To cut the apples and remove the core.
- Using a mandolin slicer or a very sharp knife, cut the apples very thinly into half moons.
- Toss the apples with the lemon juice.
- Melt 30g of butter and combine with half of the brown sugar. Pour mixture over the apples along with lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Microwave apples for about 1 minute, until soft and enough to roll.
- Melt the remaining 30g of butter and combine with remaining brown sugar. Brush the bottom of each dough cup with the mixture.
- Place about 10 slices of apples on a flat surface, laying them horizontally, each slice so it overlaps the previous slice by half and with the skin side facing you.
- Begin tightly rolling the apples from one end to the other. Add additional apple “petals” around the outside, depending on how large you want the rose to be
- Put an apple rose in each cup of the muffin tin and bake for 25-30 minutes at 375F until crust is golden and apples are cooked through.
- Brush some Strawberry jam over each apple rose to make it rosier.